Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hear Ye, Hear Ye

The past 18 years, I never would have thought that my life would change in a split second.  But, like Heavenly Father tends to do, he defies all odds.  On October 6, 2012, the prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Thomas S. Monson, announced that not only had they changed the age for men to serve their missions at age 18, but also for women.  Women who are are "able and worthy" are eligible to serve full time missions starting at the age of 19.  When this announcement was made, my jaw dropped and tears lined my eyelids.  I couldn't believe what had just happened, not only to the church, but to me.  Immediately after this glorious announcement, I knew I was going.  I was with my friend Madeline, and we both turned to each other and knew we were both going to serve.  That day was the happiest day of my life.  Not only did I learn that I could serve a mission in a matter of months, but I was also blessed with the privilege to hear the prophets voice live as I attended the afternoon session of General Conference in Salt Lake City.

I had direct inspiration from the Holy Ghost that I, Morgan Waldrom, was to serve a mission.  I remember when I received my patriarchal blessing when I was 15, as my family and I left the patriarch's home, my sister Lauren said, "Morgan, you're going to serve a mission!"  I wasn't too assured about that.  I knew my particarchal blessing always said I would teach and share my testimony with others, but I finally understood the true meaning of it... I was to serve a full time mission.  Also, since the age has always been 21 for women, I was never sure if I was going to serve.  I knew I always wanted to, however.  In my opinion, serving a mission is the best thing you can do to serve the Lord and his people on this Earth.  Before I was in college, I knew I wanted to attend BYU and find my husband there.  I thought it was typical to get married at the age of 21 or even before then, so I never really knew if I was going to be able to serve my own mission.  But as I grew older, I found myself seeing the blessings of a mission and how my desire to serve grew stronger and stronger.  When I became eligible, I knew without a doubt that this happened at this time in the church's history to increase the number of missionaries and to bring the Gospel to every corner of the world.  I knew I needed to be apart of that army of God and bring the joy and happiness the Gospel brings me to others.

I cannot even explain the excitement I have to just get out on my mission and serve others for a complete 18 months.  These next two months until I receive my call are sure going to test my patience.  I am itching to just find out who I get to serve and what country they reside in.  I do not care in the least bit where I go, just as long as I can go.  I will teach people in the farms of Kansas, the mountains of Chile, the sights of Paris, or even the icecaps of Antarctica (even though there's not really a mission there... I would go if I were called there!)  But I am just venting about the excitement to know where I can serve so I can fully begin my preparation of serving, especially in my mind because knowing where I will go will just ease all of my nerves and stress.

This is a confession: I cannot focus on ANYTHING anymore.  My mission is on my mind. All. The. Time.  And it kills me.  I don't want to do my homework.  I don't want to go to class.  I don't want to go to work.  I just want to prepare for my mission 24/7.  I have never wanted to read a book more in my life!  Yet I have all these church books sitting on my desk sitting there, ready to be read.  But I am just too doggone swamped with everything else, that once I find the time to do it, I find myself much too tired to even keep my eyes open to read a page.  It is terrible.  Maybe it is Satan withholding me from my personal mission preparation, but may I say, it is dangerous.  But hopefully, I can finish this semester up and get on top of that.  I cannot wait to read all this church literature to prepare myself to teach others the gospel and all it's little details.

JUST GET ME ON MY MISSION PLEASE! :)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment